The Equine Hospital facilities
The CHUV’s Equine Hospital is well equipped with 36 safe and spacious stalls with either wood shavings or straw bedding. We also have 3 stalls that can accommodate mares with their foals; all equipped with detachable separation barriers and privacy curtains. A stall is reserved for outpatient consultations such as for lameness exams and 3 waiting stalls are used for triage upon arrival at the hospital.
The CHUV also has an intensive care unit (ICU) with 4 stalls equipped with surveillance cameras. The ICU also has continuous electrocardiogram monitoring, a Foal Alert surveillance system, fluid therapy systems and a hoist intended for horses with neurological problems.
Finally, the Equine Hospital has 3 isolation stalls equipped with independent ventilation systems destined for animals suspected of having contagious diseases.
Other equipment and infrastructures in the Equine Hospital:
- Indoor riding arena for evaluation of lunged or ridden horses and for semen collection
- Three consultation rooms
- High speed treadmill
- Hallway for lameness evaluations
- Hydrotherapy room
- Two surgery rooms (orthopedic and soft tissue)
- One standing surgery room
- One induction with hoist and rolling table
- Two recovery rooms with direct observatories and video surveillance
- Advanced medical imaging equipment (numerical x-rays, magnetic resonance imaging, scintigraphy, computed-tomography, etc.)
- Semen analysis and freezing laboratory
- Rapid access to the diagnostics laboratory
- Complete pharmacy
- Wide doors to facilitate loading and unloading of the trailer
- A cozy waiting room
Care is assured by an experienced team of professionals, allowing all clinical parameters to be taken into account around the clock.