It was in 1947 that the School of veterinary medicine of the province of Quebec with both its large and small animal clinics, settled into old barracks once belonging to the Royal Canadian Navy in Saint-Hyacinthe.
Following the construction of the main pavilion of the School of veterinary medicine in 1953, a new large animal hospital was built in 1964, yet leaving the small animal hospital in the barracks. It was not until the spring of 1975 that the new small animal hospital saw the light of day.
In 2008, the CHUV was entirely renovated and now occupies over 13 000 square feet, over three and a half times the size of the original hospital. Vast spaces and state-of-the-art equipment now allow the CHUV to achieve its goals and offer high quality services to its clientele as well as clinical teaching and research opportunities.